St. Mary’s school has always enjoyed very strong links with the parish church, St Mary Magdalene. The Headteacher and Vicar meet regularly to discuss school and church life to ensure the strong relationship is maintained.
School and church links
- Worship time - each week the children’s pastor from church comes into the school to lead the children in worship time, themes are agreed in advance with the headteacher and are reflected in the classroom teaching each term.
- Workshops and themed lessons - throughout the year the church deliver one-off workshops or lessons that fit with the school curriculum.
- Visiting church - we regularly take groups of children to the church to learn more about religious artefacts and symbols, vestments and the history of the building, such as its stained glass.
- School Services – the children attend school services in church for Christmas and Easter, and at the end of the academic year.
- Day School Sunday - Each year all children are expected to attend this special Sunday morning service which is led by the staff and pupils from the school. This is a tradition which dates back to the founding of the school, where the pupils of the Day School (as opposed to the Sunday School) would lead the church service.
- Parenting courses – Throughout the year the church runs different parenting courses to help support and equip parents and carers in their roles. Courses have previously included Parenting For Faith and Left to their Own Devices.
- Fuel – From the Easter term of year 6, pupils are invited to join Fuel St Mary Magdalene’s youth congregation which meets on a Friday evening.
St Mary’s Church
St Mary’s church is a lively, growing, all-age friendly Anglican church, which has a thriving children and youth ministry. The church employs a children’s pastor, a youth pastor as well as two families workers who work at their daughter church, Sale West Community Church.
The family service at St Mary’s takes place on Sunday’s at 9.30am. During the service there is a stay and play session for 0-4 year olds where parents and carers can bring their little ones to hear a bible message, play and do crafts. The main service is live-streamed into this session so parents/carers can still enjoy the main service.
For primary school aged children there is a large active Junior Church where children celebrate being part of God’s family by playing games, worshipping together and learning about God in a fun and relaxed environment.
Once children reach the Easter of year 6, they are then invited to join St Mary Magdalene’s youth congregation, Fuel, which meets weekly for secondary school aged children.
Throughout the year, there are special all age services and events for children and their families such as, the very popular Light Party on 31st October, “Messy Movies” during the half term holidays, the Christingle services on Christmas Eve and all-age Easter services. St Mary Magdalene are passionate about families and also offer parenting courses throughout the year to help equip and support parents in their roles. Previous courses have included, “Left to their Own Devices” on internet safety and “Parenting For Faith” which helps parents and carers nuture faith in the home.
To find out more about St Mary’s Church go to their website www.stmarysaom.org